Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day 1-Death by bootcamp

Signing up for Adventure Bootcamp might be the greatest and worst idea for my body. Let me start out by saying that I know I am not fat, but I definitely am out of shape. And if you know me, you know these four things about my life: I drink diet pepsi religiously, I date a drummer, I love to cook, and I am a health freak. Not only do I eat organic and fresh, but I like to know everything about what I am eating, and then as we eat(most likely something I cooked for you) I like to tell you why its good for you(like did you know cabbage is good for your colon or tomatoes work wonders for you heart?). So this isn't going to be a success story where I changed what I ate and got super healthy, its safe to say I am pretty healthy. But I would say that my body is a little fluffy.

So if I wanted to lose weight and get in shape, I needed a drastic workout change. This is where the bootcamp comes in.

Yesterday was my first day. I got there about 15 mins early and more than 20 people were already there, talking to each other(clearly they had done this before). It felt like the first day of school all over again and I knew no one, so I leaned up against the wall and waited until my friends C and B to show up.

We started out with stretching on our mats. That is when SkinnyMinny laid next to me and I thought why are you here? you weigh 15lbs? but then i realized that honestly, someone bigger than me, might feel the same about me being there. after stretching and giggles between me and C, we ran a couple laps to get our blood flowing and heart rate going. Immediately after the jog, it is my belief that the trainers were intending to kill us. We did push ups, followed by lunges, followed by diamond push ups(the hardest exercise in the ENTIRE WORLD) followed by dips... no breaks, start all over again with push ups, lunges, diamonds, dips, and repeat AGAIN. This is where I realized why SkinnyMinny was here, she had absolutely no strength what so ever, while i was dipping on my 20th dip, she was struggling on dip 7. So maybe she did need to be here, sorry for the quick judgement SkinnyBitch... I mean SkinnyMinny.

After trying to kill us, the trainers has us do a crazy move i will refer to as handfoot clap, because thats exactly what you do. stand on all fours, bend your left knee and cross your right hand and tap them, then do right foot left hand, then repeat until you nearly pass out. we are given a short 15 second break and then on to hand weights. Sure 5lbs sounds like not that much but when you are doing four different moves for 20 reps, 3 sets, no stopping, 5lbs suddenly seems like death. It was at this point were I felt nauseated and contemplated running to the grass to throw up. Drinking a glass of grapefruit juice before bootcamp was a HORRIBLE idea. Lesson learned, only water 2 hours before bootcamp.

Next was abs, which seemed easy, but it was deceiving, after 1 set, I could barely lift my head. A good sign that these moves might finally give me the tight midsection I've always wanted.

Yes this bootcamp is hard, yes I constantly thought of giving up, but the only thing keeping me going was my will to get into shape, i paid for bootcamp, and i am getting my moneys worth, i am determined to look AMAZING in a bathing suit! Day 2 is this evening, and even though yesterday was rough, I am eager to go again. So lessons from day 1:
1. don't judge anyone, even the skinniest of body types
2. diamond push ups might be the death of me
3. refrain from any fruit juice that will increase chances of regurgitation.

1 comment:

  1. Let me say that I am very proud of you and Callie for joining boot camp. Hopefully some of the less determined and weaker willed will drop out and give you the experience I had for my first two months. It does get easier and you actually start to crave the sore muscles that it brings :)

    P.S. After 1 diet soda, your kidney function drastically declines. I read about it in Women's Health. I care about you, so stop drinking more than 1 diet soda a day.

    ReplyDelete